Chamarel’s first owner is Jean Lousteau, notary in Isle de France. His sons in law, named de Chazal de Chamarel, later inherit the property.
Charles Antoine de Chazal de Chamarel settles in these mountains. He exploits forests, provides wood to the state, manufactures shingles, cultivates coffee, indigo, cotton and sugar cane.
The first Sugar factory is built.
The estate is eventually sold by the family following a financial crisis in the country, and after multiple changes of ownership, the land, including the existing chimney, is sold in 1891 to the Mauritius Estate and Assets.
“THEN THERE WAS THE FACTORY,
THE HOUSES, THE HOSPITAL AND A SCHOOL.”
The factory is renovated, the new machines being carried up the mountain by carts pulled by mules.
The factory closes its doors.
The land is acquired by the “Compagnie Sucrière de Bel Ombre” and the harvested cane is carried by lorries to the sugar factory at Bel Ombre, in the south of the island.
Following a major crisis in the Sugar Industry, the land is subdivided and a parcel of approximately 80 hectares, including the old factory’s chimney, is bought by La Vieille Cheminée Ltée.